Easy! Sour Orange Pie
I wanted to try and update a key lime pie recipe once we got to Florida and realized the park was FULL of sour orange trees and people were just throwing the unwanted fruit in the garbage(!!). Sour oranges can be easily used anywhere you would use a lemon and they are great for this recipe! I also made an orange cleaner using vinegar/water/orange juice & rinds. James used them for salad dressings, and I also want to try making marmalade. So many uses!
• 1 can sweetened condensed milk
• 1 8oz package room temperature cream cheese
• 3oz sour orange juice (about 1 large or 2 small oranges)
• Zest of 1 or 2 oranges, split in 2
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
• Graham cracker crust, or smashed up graham crackers for a base - parfait style
Mix the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth, then throw in the juice, vanilla extract and half of the zest. Mix again! Top with some more zest, then cool in the refrigerator 4 hours or over night. The Deliciousness to Overall Ease ratio is strong with this recipe, which is probably why we made it THREE TIMES this month!